Trek View is using street-level panoramic imagery of the natural world to inspire everyone to preserve it.
What is Trek View?
Hi! I'm Dave.
Back in 2019 I took a 360-degree camera and started filming hiking trails.
They quickly attracted millions of views online and other hikers asked me how they could do the same. So I showed them.
I created VR apps for schools allowing school children to go on virtual field trips -- many of whom had never left the cities in which they lived.
Then local community groups, larger commercial organisations and even some celebrities wanted to use the photos for their own environmental causes.
And so Trek View became a thing.
I originally wanted to call it Trail View, but a church already held the domain name!
"You can't protect what you don't understand"
"People won't change unless they care"
Here at Trek View, we believe that immersive visual street-level records of our natural world will help:
- Build people's empathy for and understanding of the world's biggest environmental issues to spark their curiosity and trigger their engagement on the topics.
- Give organisations and communities the ability to market themselves on the world's stage to promote sustainable tourism rather than environmental destruction.
- Boost local economies by attracting investors to create high-quality job opportunities for local populations.
- Capture environments at risk of being lost, through natural or man-made means, and to expose the damage being done using historical records.
- Provide researchers with large data sets that can be used to help understand the health of the environment to generate solutions to protect it.
- Deliver accurate information on the location of people and infrastructure in emergency situations, to help organisations understand their needs and plan the response.
How is Trek View imagery used?
Our imagery is viewed by over 200,000 people each month and is used for:
- Virtual Exploration: You can loan a 360-degree camera and/or upload your own 360-degree tour imagery using our software to share and inspire others around the world.
- K12 Education: Teachers use our virtual field trips and live video calls with researchers in the field to provide students with an interactive way to cover curriculum content.
- Sustainable Tourism: Commercial organisations, like national parks and tourism boards, hire us to map and publish their outdoor locations as software products.
- Field research: Scientists use machine learning to classify flora and fauna found in our photos to help them better understand the environment.
- Disaster Response: Charity partners help us collect imagery in disaster settings, where it is extremely important to get accurate information from the field.
Who do you work with?
Our projects come to fruition in a number of ways. Generally we receive requests from tourism organisations, government departments, or local communities to capture imagery from a location.
We can help you capture 360-degree imagery and publish it in a variety of ways, from websites to VR apps. If you have a project in mind, please contact our commercial team today.
Have a smaller project in mind? You can submit an application to our camera loan program here.
Can I become a Trek View photographer?
Individuals, groups, or organisations looking to capture 360-degree tours of our natural world or in disaster situations for non-commercial purposes are encouraged to submit an application to our camera loan program here.
If you would like to use one of our cameras for a private or commercial project, you can purchase them here.
Occasionally, we also require full time travel photographers. Check all of our open job positions here.
Are you affiliated with Google?
We publish some of our projects on Google platforms, but Trek View is not officially associated with Google.
I have a question about your imagery. How can I contact Trek View?
Our Image Charter covers some of the most common questions asked about our projects and the associated imagery.
If our Image Charter does not answer your question, please contact us using this form.